SEED @ YMS
Author: Seed Team, published on May 31st, 2018
Our fourth year at YMS LDN came and went in a flash...
...and what a year it was! We had such a blast presenting our latest thought piece on the student market: ‘What Matters To Us’, introducing lots of new friends to who Seed are and enjoyed hearing from the other industry leaders.
A real wealth of knowledge was shared over the 2 days so buckle in and enjoy our recap on what we found relevant to student marketing…
REACHING YOUTH ON SOCIAL MEDIA
- Youth are now moving away from Facebook and towards Instagram, with 43% of 18-24s posting on Instagram at least once a week.
Laws and Data Protection
- GDPR comes at a good time as youth are growing increasingly reluctant to give their data away online; in an online survey conducted by SuperAwesome, 25% refused to give information as basic as their gender.
Capturing the Target Audience
- Attention spans are becoming shorter with each generation. Millennials have attention spans which are on average 12 seconds long, while Gen Zedders only have 8 seconds.
AUTHENTICITY + CLARITY
Sticking By Your Principles
- Brands need to be authentic and genuine when backing a good cause, ensuring they don’t sacrifice their principles and reaching out to their audience to take accountability when they make a blunder.
Connecting With Your Audience
- Create a two-way dialogue with your audience so you talk WITH them, not AT them.
Peer To Peer
- 58% of young people won’t try a new brand unless it’s recommended by someone they personally know or by real people, not just celebrities.
CREATING A RELEVANT + MEMORABLE STUDENT MARKETING CAMPAIGN
Relating to the Audience
- Students hate being stereotyped and want to be treated as unique individuals, so campaigns which focus on marketing to students should be created with this in mind.
The User Experience
- In-store and online shopping are complementary and students demand both platforms.
May 31st 2018