We sent out the Seed Speedy Student Survey to find out more about what student life looks like and what students want from brands for the upcoming term. We received 162 responses!
Below are some key findings which should interest clients and brands.
Return to uni or stay at home? 🏡
56% of students are planning to return to university in Term 2
32% are still unsure
52% responded that they feel safe both at home and at university, with 37% recording that they feel safest at home
What will learning look like in 2021? 📚📕
72% of learning for T2 is planned to be online only, with 28% having a mixture of both
We know from discussions with our SBAs that is mostly vocational and science degrees that continue to have in-person learning, for example, attending Labs
Lockdowns, Covid & what students are thinking about? 🤒🔒😢
- Students remain very concerned about the potential effects of Covid on their own and their loved ones’ health (75%). (Vs 74% in June 2020).
- Students are also concerned about the social and economic effects of Covid with 72% rating their concern between 8-10 on our 10 point scale
71% of students rated the government’s response to Covid-19 between ‘badly’ and ‘very badly’
- Students recorded that they are continuing to take lockdown rules very seriously, recording 80% (Vs 93% in June 2020).
- Most common words used to describe how students feel about the current pandemic news are confused, disappointed, frustrated and bored.
How do students feel about university? 📝😔
- Students remain disappointed with their universities response to the pandemic with 50% rating their response very/extremely poor
- The most common reasons students feel dissatisfied with their universities are unchanged university fees despite online learning, difficulties accessing resources (libraries, campus), concerns about their grades being effected, feeling unsafe during in-person learning and poor communication from the university
What can brands be doing to help? 📺📱🍔
- When asked what brands can do to support students at this time.
48% of students said Entertainment
26% of students said Support
Only 5% recorded that they do not think brands should be active at this time
- When asked for more information on how they would like support, the most common answers were: discounts, deals, fun and distraction!
- When asked if there any brands have been supporting students throughout the COVID19 pandemic the majority of students, 69%, said 'No' or 'Can't think of any' or 'Unsure'
- This suggests there is a real space for brands to own supporting students at the moment
- Out of the brands that were mentioned, the most popular were: Amazon/Prime Student (7%), Netflix (2.5%), Wagamamas (2.5%) and Unidays and Student Beans (2.5%). Students also mentioned general food delivery services (4%), general health/workout brands (3%) and social media apps (2.5%) 🍕
Where should brands be reaching students? 📲
- Students rated social media platforms in the following order from the most to least effective: Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube, Whatsapp, Facebook, Tiktok, Twitter
- 95% use Instagram, 88% use Snapchat and 66% use Tiktok
Hope you enjoyed these insights. If you have any questions on how Seed can support your brand please email firstname.lastname@example.org